Friday, May 6, 2011

Let There be Light 2: Experimental DIY Solar bottle light

The solar bottle light was so interesting to me that I decided to make a model to see for myself the final result. The photos and videos on the internet are convincing but I just want to try the experiment for fun; after all, experiment is the hallmark of science in that a theory must work in practice every time under the same conditions and circumstances. So I finally decided to just make a model using a box along with the essential 1.5 liter soda bottle which should not have color to achieve the best result. However, as this not a real application- I just use common tap water (should use distilled water) and did not add the bleach into the water.

Just cut a hole that fit the "waist" of the bottle; then open the cap and slightly crush the bottle so as to squeeze it into the hole.

Note that when there is no water in the bottle; there is no prism effect to focus the light.

After water is added, we can see that the light is much brighter than before.

This is how it looked inside the box as I tried to achieve darkness by putting my hand with the camera inside the box and then tried to wrap the flaps around my hand but the result is not optimum.

So I figured out a way by opening a small hole for the lens of my camera to shoot inside from the outside of the box; this way, the box would be darker and the light should be more pronounced. By the way, I did closed the flaps/lid of the box when I shoot the photo.

Another problem come out in that by this time, the heavy bottle filled with water could not be held by the box as the hole had became larger and lost its grip. So I decided to use a thick slab of styrofoam as a neck which did the trick. There are often challenges and problems that crop up during experiments and one must try to overcome such problems to achieve our objectives.

Finally, this outstanding photo of a luminous solar bottle light inside the dark interior of the closed box which became very bright demonstrated the powerful effect of the solar power transmitted via the superb solar bottle light!

No comments:

Post a Comment